Fine Arts

Art department to showcase talent at open house

Thursday marks the fourth annual UH Arts Open House, an event set to showcase the material from the campus art department such as UH’s Glass Mountain literary magazine, Roarin’ Raas Indian dance troupe and Moores School of Music Jazz Sextet.

The open house will be held in between the Moores School of Music building and the Blaffer Art Museum building from 2 to 7 p.m. The event is set to offer free food and drinks from Freebirds World Burrito and will host a variety of fun activities for attendees to enjoy.

Live screen printing on T-shirts, mask making for Halloween, scavenger hunts, tours of the art facilities and poetry readings are a few of the many going-ons.

Musical performances by Anthem, Bob’s Your Uncle, Moores Clarinet Quartet and a comedy routine by student improvisation group Phorastics will be presented.

In addition to the arts event, the Blaffer Student Association will be hosting a Red Block Bash from 4 to 7 p.m.

“Jana Jackson, Marketing Director of UH Arts has worked tirelessly to plan the Open House and I think it will be the best one yet,” said Director of External Relations at Blaffer Matt Johns.

“We are so excited to have these events coexist in the arts district on campus.”

The Red Block Bash is a free event geared toward the UH students and the surrounding community to help celebrate creativity and the newly constructed Blaffer Art Museum. The event is set to include all activities that symbolize the essence of the museum and the art itself.

“The Red Block Bash has been completely organized by the students who are currently active members of the Blaffer Student Association led by President Marcada Clayburn,” said Johns.

“It’ll also feature several hands-on creative projects like a public mural and a really fun photo booth.”

Even though UH Arts Day is meant to be a day of leisure, there is also a purpose for the event. All students, staff, and faculty are encouraged to participate, even those who are not associated with any of UH’s arts departments.

“The mission of the Blaffer Student Association’s Red Block Bash and UH Arts Open House is one in the same. We want to celebrate the arts on campus and the students, faculty, and staff who make the University of Houston a destination for the arts in our city,” said Johns.

“These two events aim to bring awareness to all of the talent and resources that students here on campus can take advantage of regardless of their degree plan. We want every student on campus to be an active member of the UH arts community.”

Add Comment