Greek Life

More than $4,000 raised by sorority

The Delta Gamma Sorority concluded their 35th Annual Anchor Splash at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center on Wednesday evening.

Anchor Splash is a week-long fundraising event that supports Delta Gamma’s philanthropy — Service for Sight, a foundation that helps people of all ages with visual impairments — and ends with various pool competitions that 11 other Greek organizations took part in.

Delta Gamma welcomed divers out to a California Pizza Kitchen restaurant for their Penny Wars fundraising event and other functions that lead up to their water competitions.

“I wanted to expand Anchor Splash to reach more people by adding more events,” said Coordinating Chair Jessica Tegethoff. “This made all the events more competitive, which escalated the interest in helping DG and our cause.”

The pool events included biggest splash, free-style and medley relays, Ping-Pong-ball-on-a-spoon relay, pull-your-coach relay, synchronized swimming and a wet T-shirt contest in which swimmers swam in a T-shirt and had to take it off and put it on the next racer as quickly as possible.

“A lot of fraternities and sororities have naturally competitive individuals so letting them know how they are doing in a race and overall help drive them on to beat their competition,” said Shannon Orlando, Delta Gamma president.

Synchronized swimming was the fan favorite and brought glitz and glam to the water with all groups showing their Delta Gamma-themed outfits and dance moves.

Many dancers wore anchor symbols and sailor hats while others took the pink swimming cap and black Speedo approach.

Every group got the crowd going in some way with songs from Britney Spears and N’Sync to Fun and Awolnation.

Thanks to the competitive spirit, Delta Gamma raised more than $4,000 and had about 200 people attend.

With a quick hush of the crowd, the sisters of Delta Gamma awarded the winners of all the individual events and crowned the Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and Chi Omega sorority as the overall winners this year.

Loud cheers and congratulatory screams rang out and the evening came to a successful end.

“Gathering chapter support for Anchor Splash has never been difficult,” said Orlando. “This is one of our biggest events of the year and everyone is given an equal chance to participate so we never have a hard time finding everyone we need to make the event bigger and better than ever.”