Activities & Organizations

COOG Radio funds questions

The Student Fees Advisory Committee brought up concerns about COOG Radio’s web presence during the organization’s SFAC proposal Oct. 30.

During the presentation, station director Clinton Blankenship asked the committee for $15,000 in student fees for a concert.

“You need a website in order for your organization to function effectively,” said John Evans, SFAC chairman. “I don’t understand why you keep asking for a concert when your initial foundation isn’t set up yet.”

COOG Radio uses Tumblr to manage its website and post information about concerts, musical guests and in-station interviews. DJ director Rashad Eaglin said that not having a stand-alone website has not affected the station negatively. Students are able to connect to Facebook and Twitter using the Tumblr website and because COOG Radio broadcasts only online, this helps it stay connected to its listeners.

“It’s a nice, all-in-one stop to access new music, concert updates and much more that COOG Radio offers,” Eaglin said.

COOG Radio’s Tumblr, www.coogradio.com, won Houston Press’ 2012 “Best Music Blog” award. Though it is recognized outside of the University, Blankenship said he understands SFAC concern about developing strong foundations so COOG Radio can attract new members and garner recognition.

“It is important to look professional to attract more members,” Eaglin said. “We can still have our Tumblr page for other information.”

Blankenship said COOG Radio is working with the UH Information Technology Department to create its new website.

“If things go as expected, we should have our new website up by the spring semester,” Blankenship said.

COOG Radio was established Fall 2011, and Blankenship said he is optimistic about the future.

“We are miles ahead of where we were this time last year and will continue to grow leaps and bounds,” Blankenship said. “I fully expect that next year’s SFAC will shock the board members with how far we have come.”

• Taking corporate sponsors makes it more commercial radio than college radio. College radio is about free expression and not having to follow an agenda, something COOG Radio would have to adopt were it to take corporate sponsorship.

The best option would be a wealthy benefactor who could give COOG Radio a large sum of money to establish itself, as was the case with KTRU.

The only reason UH wants COOG Radio to have a real website, however, is because if the website is on the UH server (which it likely would be to save money), then UH owns it.