Golden Huricane storm through Robertson

The Homecoming festivities were the only thing that went right for the Cougars on Saturday during a 41-7 loss to Tulsa.

UH could not run the ball or stop the run, a formula for ineptitude against the Golden Hurricane. UH didn’t score until 7:08 remained in the fourth quarter, barely staving off its first home shutout since a 16-0 loss to Missouri on Sept 17, 1994 — before the team used Robertson as a football stadium.

Tulsa had 41 points on the board before Freshman running back Ryan Jackson scored on a 16-yard reception from senior quarterback Crawford Jones.

Injuries and emotions may have contributed to the lopsided loss.

It was UH’s first game without senior corner D.J. Hayden, who had a near-fatal injury this week in practice and redshirt junior running back Charles Sims, one of its best offensive play makers.

Head coach Tony Levine said UH missed some leadership without Sims and Hayden but stressed that the team needs to move forward and prepare better.

“We have to win the next two to extend our season into December … Our preparation and focus has to be better than it has been all season,” Levine said.

The Cougars finished with 78 yards rushing. Their leading rusher, redshirt freshman Kenneth Farrow finished with 55 yards on 15 carries.

They were not much better passing the ball either. Redshirt sophomore quarterback David Piland finished with 148 yards passing and never found rhythm in the offense. Piland did not have a touchdown during the contest.

The loss broke UH’s streak of five consecutive games scoring more than 35.

The Cougars again lost the time of possession battle and only converted 6-17 third downs — two stats that plagued them last week in a loss to ECU.

Beyond that, UH missed several opportunities to score early. In the second quarter, a mishandled snap cost it possible points as the team was nearing the red zone. A shotgun snap went through Piland’s hands and Tulsa recovered. On the next play, junior running back Ja’Terian Douglass went 25 yards. Tulsa did not score but it flipped field position, which put it in a position to score a drive later.

On the Cougars’ following drive, sophomore receiver Mark Roberts had a drop on a deep route on second down that would have moved the chains. The Cougars eventually punted.

Tulsa had three rushers surpass 60 yards. Douglass averaged 7.2 yards per carry and finished with 90 yards. Senior running back Alex Singleton scored twice and redshirt freshman Zack Langer had 68 yards on only 7 carries.

Senior linebacker Everett Daniels said the Cougars played hard but it wasn’t their day.

“Obviously our goals are out of reach. We have two games to go out and play our hearts out,” Daniels said.