UC staff propose UC Satellite renovation

As the University Center is being reconstructed, the UC staff is already making plans to renovate the University Center Satellite.

During a Student Fees Advisory Committee presentation, Lawrence Daniel, Keith Kowalka and Cheryl Grew-Gillen introduced an idea to improve the Satellite by giving students a modernized place to go in addition to improving campus living.

“I want students to know there is campus life, and things have been in place, but students may not know,”  Daniel said.

The UC staff estimated that $3,314,000 will be required to improve the Satellite with the majority of the funds going toward the renovation of its interior and enclosing the food court while making it larger.

“I think that updating the Satellite is something we need on campus, especially with the increase of students,” said journalism junior Stephanie Jerez. “As UH is getting more recognition and more students are attending, we should have newer buildings that will generate more school pride.”

UC staff and UC Policy Board are currently discussing reconstruction plans regarding the Satellite.

“We do not have a reconstruction plan for the UC Satellite that is confirmed at this time,” Kowalka said. “As Student Publications/Student Media and The Daily Cougar moves to the New UC (Spring 2014), we will be doing some renovation to the space currently occupied by those offices, but no final decision has been made as to what the space will be utilized as of yet.”

Jerez says she is looking forward to the reveals of the New UC and plans for the Satellite.

“I can’t wait for the UC to reopen and I can’t wait to see what they do with the Satellite, it will be a huge improvement,” Jerez said.

Correction at 3:00 p.m. 11/13/12: The renovations are proposed by Student Affairs, not approved by SFAC. The $3.3 million is an estimated cost for renovation, not a request.