Cougars pick up classroom victory

While the men and women who wear the scarlet and white are known for performances on the field, their achievements off the field may call for some attention, too.

Eight sports programs set fall semester records with their respective GPAs — baseball, men’s basketball, football, golf, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, men’s track and field/cross-country — with another seven setting program highs for cumulative GPA: baseball, football, golf, softball, swimming and diving, tennis and men’s track and field/cross-country.

“I am very proud of our student-athletes and coaching staffs as they continue to push the department to new academic heights,” said Mack Rhoades, the vice president for Intercollegiate Athletics in an email.

Along with the team accomplishments, 75 individual athletes — a UH record — made the school’s Dean’s List, and 333 students — 97 percent — are in considered in good standing in terms of academic standing. The rate and record of 13.9 hours passed per student was another UH all-time mark.

The tennis program led the way for all sports programs with a fall GPA of 3.60 and a cumulative of 3.47, which just beat softball’s 3.59 and 3.43.

Fully utilizing both aspects in their titles of student-athletes, 334 scholarship student-athletes that ranged 16 of UH’s varsity sports helped the entire department make a record fall semester GPA of 2.92 and a 2.87 cumulative GPA. Both are marks that show the dedication the student athletes have in their lives that include balancing life, school and sports.

“While we hold our student-athletes to a high standard in their respective fields of competition, we hold them to even higher standards in the classroom,” Rhoades said. “We always stress the importance of education to prepare for challenges they may face as they evolve into community leaders following their collegiate careers.”