From the Editor

Letter from the editor — Opinion

The new year is under way and another apocalypse prediction was proved wrong. As everyone settles back in for another grind of classes, construction and parking congestion, we want to reaffirm our mission to deliver op-eds from a wide range of opinions and beliefs reflecting the diversity of UH.

The opinion desk is more dedicated than ever to mixing things up with new content and more interactivity.

I want to invite readers to respond to what they read and engage in healthy debate in the name of fairness and balance. Throughout the semester, the section encourages readers to send letters to the editor, and will publish any thoughtful response from students, staff and alumni.

The opinion section is going to see a few new regular features this semester. Point/Counterpoint will be a bi-weekly piece featuring a pair of opinion writers debating topics amongst themselves, while Voices of the Pride will feature reader comments on a specified weekly topic. Around the Table will be a monthly discussion among the members of the opinion desk on a single topic. These will be on a trial run through February, and your feedback will determine what sticks.

We will continue our mission to discuss the issues that affect the 40,000-plus members of the student body, as well as UH faculty, staff and alumni, so readers are invited to give suggestions on topics they want to read about. We might not get to write about every suggestion, but if there is enough demand for a certain topic, we will be right there to craft discourse.

We want to know what is on our reader’s mind, eager to stay tuned to the pulse of the University. Be it construction woes, crime concerns or worries over what is going on in Houston, Austin or Washington, D.C., the Opinion section wants to know about it.

There are few things more important to a society than the ability to engage in discourse, and our right to express those opinions is our most cherished right. At the Opinion section, we value the channel we have been given to exercise those rights, and that is why we are more committed than ever to improve such discourse and invite the University community to join us. As a teacher of mine once said, “Question everything.” The Opinion Section questions everything and shines a light on those questions for all to see.

— Aaron Manuel, Opinion editor