Campus

On your mark; get set; go

The holidays are through and it’s back to the trials and tribulations of everyday life. The new year is upon us and that means resolutions for a better lifestyle are just waiting to be pursued. With the health of the younger generation being such a prevalent concern these days the UH Charter School is determined to not only exercise the minds of their students but also their bodies courtesy of the wellness fair.

As 4 p.m. rolled around Thursday, young students from the UHCS and their parents piled into Melcher Gym to learn tips and tricks for a happy, healthy life.

“This is all to help educate the kids,” said second grade teacher Eve Medina. “Most of them have never been to a wellness fair before.”

Students and parents participated in several activities throughout the fair to increase their awareness for living a healthy life. The students filled out a goal sheet and made their own unique pledge to staying active.

The energetic elementary students invaded the gym with their proud parents in tow where fitness fun awaited them. To demonstrate healthy competition and teamwork the students participated in the First Tee Golf Program and also received information on upcoming fundraiser Jump Rope for Heart. Parents who enjoy volunteering their time ran many of the booths.

“I love getting involved,” said parent Luis Garcia, “So when they asked, it was a no-brainer.”

The theme of the fair was making sure the students eat healthy, and it prompted some parents to put together a cookbook full of healthy and delicious recipes.

Students and parents walked away with some tips on social and emotional wellness for children and their families. An open dialog allowed other parents to share their ideas to insure their children create strong friendships and cope with stress.

The fair was an apparent success, according to Carolyn Black, principal at UHCS. She had nothing but positive reviews for the event.

“We always have a great turnout,” Black said. “The parents are really wonderful.”