Blaffer exhibit transforms everyday objects

Terry Fox and Stuart Sherman’s short videos were screened Thursday afternoon and evening at the renovated Blaffer Art Museum.

Scenes from the series were based on the work of Tony Feher, a minimalist artist who turned everyday objects into a personal meaning. The two artists use their artistry and intellect to change simple objects, said Amy Powell, the Cynthia Woods Mitchell curatorial fellow at Blaffer and the event organizer.

“I organized the film and video series based on themes in Tony’s work,” Powell said. “Sherman and Fox were two artists who also manipulated common everyday objects with a sense of wit and poetry.”

The short films, “On Screen,” were viewed in Blaffer’s new Media Gallery. Fox’s work used tricks, including many household items such as spoons and candles. The films ranged from the late 1970s to early 1990s.

Powell said she was fascinated with the outcome of the crowd leaving some students to view the films from outside of the cinema. Health senior Nipa Sheth was walking by the museum and noticed the event.

“The videos were interesting and materialistic,” Sheth said.

Students were also able to walk through the Feher exhibition. The exhibition, like the films, included many every day common objects such as water bottles, crates and string.

Powell said the film and video series is to widen the students’ perspective on contemporary art and how other minimalist artists have interpreted their work to the exhibition. The series will also inspire students to be more creative in their studies and in their everyday life.

“My hope is that the film and video series “On Screen” will broaden students’ perspectives on contemporary art by exploring how other artists have interpreted themes related to our main exhibition,” Powell said.