Theater

Alumnus’ play lives up to expectations

Professional actors Adam Harrington and Karish Danish were part of the ‘Hit Lit” cast along with UH theater students. | Courtesy of School of Theatre and Dance

The comedian is back. Alumnus Robert Wuhl debuted his play “Hit-Lit” for a sold-out show on Tuesday at the Jose Quintero Theater.

“In all my years of doing stand-up comedy, I’ve never been nervous and right now, I’m nervous” Wuhl said during his opening speech.

The Emmy Award-winner described this play to be fun with its amount of graphics, animation and music.

This intelligent and well-written production stood up to its expectations.

Set in New York City, Phoebe, a young woman who is passionate about her job, strives to make a name for herself by searching for the next best-selling book. It takes a turn as she assumes that she has witnessed a murder and makes a risky decision by hiring the “hit-man” to write his life story.

The costumes were simple but vibrant and didn’t away from the dialogue, which made paying close attention to the humor more enjoyable to watch. Phoebe wore flirty skirts and blazers in bright red, deep purple and black. Julian, the hired “hit-man,” was always nicely dressed in the classic black suit with a white button down and black skinny tie.

The set-up of each scene was humble and did not take away from the dialogue, characters, music and animation. A desk, a bench, a bar, a Ferris wheel seat and a pull out bed were the only props used in the play.

“Hit-Lit” is a satire on the publishing world in today’s society, littered with the laugh-inducing comedic references. It stars professional actors Karis Danish as Phoebe, Adam Harrington as Julian and Richard Hollis as Norman Pfatt. UH theater students were also a part of the cast.

For more information about the UH School of Theater and Dance, visit www.uh.edu/class/theatre-and-dance/index.php.