Program sees plenty of change, development

After competing in the Senior Bowl and Texas vs. The Nation Phillip Steward #42 is preparing for the NFL Draft. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

Recruiting news

UH’s next class of football players will take shape Wednesday, college football’s national signing day.

After some troubles behind center, quarterback has been a premium position for the Cougars during this signing period. The Cougars have verbal commitments from two quarterbacks, William Cosh and John O’Korn.

Cosh, a junior college transfer from Butler Community College in Kansas, threw for 2,856 yards in 12 contests. O’Korn passed for 2,552 yards, 22 passing and 15 rushing touchdowns.

O’Korn and Cosh headline a projected class of 25, where four players have signed letters of intent, and 21 have committed but have not yet signed.

Riser moves on

Defensive lineman Zeke Riser was granted his release from the football program and plans to transfer after graduating in December.

He’s enrolled in graduate school at UH, but after transferring, Riser will be able to play immediately.

“I appreciate the well wishes and support from all the Coog fans out there,” Riser said Saturday night on Twitter. “Thank you for respecting my decision.”

Teammates again

After four years of eligibility, linebacker Phillip Steward and Jacolby Ashworth put on the same jersey once again in the Texas vs. The Nation game Saturday.

Statistics are not readily available because organizers did not take official stats for the game.

Steward was also an addition to the Senior Bowl, where he registered one tackle.

New beginnings

UH football will put a shovel in the ground for its groundbreaking ceremony Friday.

The stadium, which is set to open in August of 2014, will host an open-to-the-public groundbreaking at 10:30 a.m. Friday at the southeast corner of the construction site near Cullen Boulevard and Cougar Place.

Parking for the event will be available in the stadium parking garage on Holman Street.