Crime

UC outage being investigated as criminal

The University Center’s power outage may not be a fluke as originally suspected.

The University Center should be open some time next week. | Nichole Taylor/The Daily Cougar

“An investigation into the cause of the power outage at the University Center, which is undergoing an $80 million transformation, has determined that an entrance gate lock was cut over the weekend,” said Richard Bonnin, the executive director of media relations for UH, “and the construction site was entered by unknown individuals.”

“During the incident, a large amount of copper wire was removed from the University Center construction site, causing a power outage that officials are working diligently to repair,” Bonnin said.

The amount of wire missing from the site has not yet been disclosed, but copper wiring is commonly subjected to theft because of its high resale value.

The UH crime log reports that on Sunday at the UC, a “contractor reported the theft of copper wiring from a construction site.”

The crime’s estimated time of occurrence was between late Saturday night and Sunday morning.

“The incident is being investigated as a theft. No additional information is available at this time to protect the integrity of the investigation,” Bonnin said.