Student Government

SGA discusses guns on campus resolution

While the majority of the Student Government Association spent the day in Austin representing UH, it was business as usual at UH — one presidential appointment and a number of bills were discussed at the Wednesday senate meeting.

Of the topics discussed, the Resolution to Reaffirm Opposition to Allowing Concealed Handguns made its second appearance.

“Currently, there is a bill proposed at the Texas State Legislature that will allow for licensed concealed handgun owners to be able to have their concealed handguns on campus, and more importantly, that the University would not be allowed to make rules that overrides this law,” said Sepi Tabrizi, a political science senior.

“SGA just wants pass a bill saying they do not support this. These kinds of things are strictly symbolic.”

Other bills on the agenda included Taylor’s Diploma Bill, which was introduced before Christmas break, an SGA Bill Consideration Period for Proposed Legislation, and an SGA Bill Publicized Revision Period for Proposed Legislation.

Also at the meeting, Kelly Hickman, a graduate in law school, received a presidential appointment to the Safety and Security Advisory Committee.

Hickman was involved in promoting campus safety when she was a student at UT.

“I think there is a notable lack of police call boxes, the importance of which cannot be overstated.” Hickman said in a letter read on her behalf.

“I also think the students need to be better educated about how to be safe on campus. ”