From the Editor

Letter from the Editor: Cougars on gun control

In the Feb. 11 issue, I previewed the topic for the second edition of Voice of the Pride in a letter from the editor.

For anyone who missed the topic last week, here it is again: the Opinion Desk is opening the floor for all Cougars to comment on the issue of gun control.

Cougar columnists have already weighed in on the issue.

In the first issue of the semester, Jan. 17, Mónica Rojas weighed in on the issue of arming teachers, falling on the side of putting more police in schools rather than giving guns to untrained teachers. Feb. 6, Babak Hamidi came to the defense of gun rights advocates like National Rifle Association Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre. You can revisit these articles at thedailycougar.com.

The Opinion Desk wants to know where you all fall on the issue.

Between today and 12 p.m. Wednesday, you can email your thoughts on the subject to [email protected]. Here are some brief ground rules:

All entries must be no more than 500 words in length. These entries must be thoughtful, respectful and have credible sources.

Students must include their full name, major and year in school —  freshman, sophomore, etc. Faculty and staff must include their full name, department name and job title. Alumni must include their full name, degree obtained and year graduated. All entrants must consent to full disclosure — if you are willing to put it out there, you have to be willing to put your name on it.

So Cougars, what do you think?

— Aaron Manuel, Opinion editor