Academics & Research

New master’s program hopes to better prepare students

A new master’s program launching in the fall will give students the opportunity to learn the necessary skills to operate retail businesses in the marketplace.

The 36-hour, Master of Science in Global Retailing program aims to prepare students for innovative retail marketers and provides the opportunity to develop new brands as well as new markets for companies.

“This program goes beyond teaching theory to practical applications. Executives in residence and UH faculty provide a stimulating experience where students will explore cross-cultural trends in retail management,” said graduate adviser for the College of Technology Tiffany Roosa.

The program was designed for professionals seeking advanced preparation for leading and operating retail businesses for the expanding global market. It will emphasize the worldwide dynamics of consumer behavior, financial models and profitability, educating students on topics such as international product sourcing and distribution as well as international trade regulations.

The courses will teach the best practices and use the latest research required for global leadership, sustaining a competitive advantage in the expanding retail world market, Roosa said.

Houston offers plenty of prospects for job opportunities dealing with industries that have international clients, and the city deals with many industries that involve product sourcing and trading.

“We are an international city, with companies expanding each day into new global markets and we have the expertise in our university and city to deliver an exceptional program,” said the program’s faculty adviser and coordinator Shirley Ezell.

Students will have the chance to meet with retail executives with experience in branding, global products and analytical skills. A network of global thinkers will be introduced to coach and provide opportunities for development beyond the classroom experience.

All bachelor’s degrees are relevant and applicable to this program. The application deadline for the fall is July 1. Students may also apply for next spring, which has a Dec. 1 deadline.

Ezell said she thinks the program will benefit many hard-working students.

“This is a perfect degree program for people who want to think creatively and lead their careers in new directions in expanding markets,” Ezell said.

• Honest questions here: What differentiates this from an MBA with a concentration marketing? And, if a potential student were considering this degree, how do the future economic prospects of graduates from programs of this nature compare to that of similarly ranked MBA programs?