Students prepare for spring break

Spring Break — even before the semester starts, students look forward to it. For some, the break will include partying with friends, while others catch up on homework and sleep.

Hotel and restaurant management junior Shantae Rudulph-Crosby will be taking care of her grandfather, who is dealing with a severe case of arthritis, in California.

“I am going to be taking care of my papa. My grandma passed away not too long ago and he’s dealing with arthritis too. I want to make him a lot of soups and help him feel better,” Rudulph-Crosby said.

Media production junior Joel Cirilo is an avid music enthusiast who will be attending one of Texas’ most popular music festivals. “I will be attending South By Southwest in Austin next week. I will spend Wednesday through Sunday out there watching live music, eating great food and indulging in adult beverages,” Cirilo said.

Kinesiology freshman Molly Delaney will be going back to her home in Galveston. “I’m just going back home to hang out with my family and catch up with them, I think most people will just try to go to the beach and relax,” Delaney said.

No matter where Spring Break takes students, they need to remember to keep their eyes open and make healthy choices, said Gail Gillan, the director of learning at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center.

“(Students) need to focus on healthy choices and staying with friends and letting them know where they are. If they are traveling, they should beware of and keep track of their surroundings,” Gillan said.