Campus

Mold mingles among residents

The campus experienced a minor mold infestation in the Quadrangle during Spring Break. Some students had to temporarily relocate to other dorms while the problem was resolved.  |  Esteban Portillo/The Daily Cougar

The campus experienced a minor mold infestation in the Quadrangle during Spring Break. Some students had to temporarily relocate to other dorms while the problem was resolved. | Esteban Portillo/The Daily Cougar

While Spring Break kept most students out-of-town or at home with their families, a form of fungi vacationed at the University’s Quadrangle.

During the break, the executive Director of Student Housing and Residential Life Don Yackley received a report about a room with discoloration in the bathroom that appeared to be mildew and mold. Upon notification, housing inspected all rooms in the Quadrangle area.

“We had a few rooms in each building that had some mildew and mold growth. We contracted with a company to have these specific rooms professionally cleaned, painted when necessary and tested,” Yackley said.

“Some residents had to be put in temporary rooms for a few days. All rooms have been taken care of, and all residents are back in their rooms. There are no outstanding issues.”

Civil engineering freshman Jonathon Dreith, who lives in Taub Hall was aware of the mold, mainly after hearing it from other students living in the Quads.

Dreith said if it had happened to him, he would have been annoyed, but is more willing to forgive UH because of how quickly the problem was resolved.

“I figure it’s kind of expected because they are the oldest dorms, but the University could have taken better care of the Quads,” Dreith said.

Chemical engineering junior Paola Garcia-Agreda who lives in Settegast Hall was unaware of the problem because she went home during the break. Garcia-Agreda said she couldn’t imagine having mold in her room. She tries to clean her dorm as often as she can to prohibit dirt and mold growth.

“It makes me feel a little grossed out, knowing that there was a mold outbreak in the building I live in. When I think of mold I usually picture something decaying and forming a green-like fuzzy texture, it’s definitely something you’d want to avoid,” Garcia-Agreda said.