Student Government

Senate closes 49th administration

Senator Eduardo Reyes and the other student leaders worked diligently in the last meeting of SGA’s 49th session. | Shaimaa Eissa/The Daily Cougar

With almost every seat filled in the audience, the 49th Student Government Association Senate went out with a bang Wednesday at its final meeting.

SGA President Cedric Bandoh announced SGA will move forward in searching for Higher One replacement.

A Transparency within Graduate Courses Bill passed with one opposition: the passage of this bill will make it required for UH to provide graduate students with a syllabus and curriculum to help them choose the best teacher for their needs.

The bill to limit summer senate powers did not pass. Some of the argument for the bill’s passing included a comment from economics sophomore Eduardo Reyes, who said committees cannot meet without a senate in session so they will be unprepared in the fall.

Among bills discussed was the Administration and Finance Committee’s University Bill to Improve Parking Lot Way Finding, authored by Bandoh; however, a vote did not go through as the Senate chose to table this bill.

“This bill aims to rename majority of our signage, in particular our parking lot signs,” said SGA Vice President-Elect Rani Ramchandani, a supply chain management junior and chair of administration and finance. “Can you honestly tell me where Lot 19A is located? Well it just so happens to be the Melcher/Bauer Parking Lot.”

“My committee and I strongly believe that this bill will help faculty, students and visitors to navigate the campus with ease.”

SGA members also offered a few parting words in the meeting before their final adjournment.

“At the beginning of the administration, I challenged all of us to find our passions, and the one thing you were really passionate about was to give back to the student body,” Bandoh said. “You guys really went above and beyond to either address academic issues or social issues.”

Bandoh will take his inaugural oath for his re-election Friday, and the 50th administration will begin Monday.

• I was the Student Government President in 1956-57; what year of the SGA would that have been? Simple arithmetic suggests 57 (2013 minus 1956). How is it then that the upcoming is onlyy #50?\Thanks. I enjoy reading The Cougar. It was the Weekly Cougar back when I was there.
    E. A. Andy Anderson
    Carthage, Texas

• Hm, how odd. According to the SGA website, SGA, formerly Students’ Association, was established in 1964. Was it officially recognized by UH as a student representative organization in 1956? That’s the only possible explanation for the numbers not adding up that I can think of.