Events

Coogs take original works to the stage

Dancing becomes something more when you put all of your skills on the stage and go for it. As family members and close friends waited in their seats, the bright lights slowly dimmed the stage for the show to begin.

The School of Theatre and Dance presented works choreographed and performed by students. UH Goes to the Barn was held at the Barnevelder Theater and welcomed the public to view choreography that has been worked on throughout the semester.

“This gives them a chance to produce a concert from the ground up,” said the program’s coordinator Toni Valle. “This opportunity is for them to realize their works in a professional theatre that is open to the public and will give them a real life experience of what working in theatre is really like.”

Part of being a dancer is to show your sense of style and skill. The dancers not only produced the choreography, but also the costumes and played music that went with their work.

Environmental science and dance major Marcela Acosta was one of the first dancers to perform. Her piece “Rouge” featured Acosta dancing quickly but with grace while the music helped her connect with the audience.

“I’m hoping that the audience understood the story and were moved by it,” Acosta said. “I want them to know why dance is so beautiful and how we can connect with everyday people.”

The program featured a rare dance that is used throughout the dancing classes. Known as the chance dance, this type of structure helps the dancers during competition class to learn dances between the beats of music. The sound “ta” is vocalized on every notated rhythm in a 4/4 time.

“Rhythm Study” was choreographed and performed by students with the “ta-ta” structure. After using the structure, the dancers separated into two groups and performed the work using the music chosen by the chance procedures. Dance junior Michelle Largent performed and used her structure to create her own moves but to also connect with the others.

“The chance dance helps us learn different ways to make up choreography. That’s how we utilize this structure to help us put in different moves for the dance,” Largent said.

As each work ended, the audience applauded. Communication sciences and disorders junior Ariel Rawls was amazed on the hard work the dancers put into their performances. Rawls knows some of the dancers who come to her class and teach them dance moves.

“I was in a trance while watching the performance,” Rawls said. “It’s really cool seeing that side of the students.”

A passion for dance has been part of these students lives. The program-helped students shape up moves and finish works that will help them choreograph and work together to get the job done.

Dance senior Bryan Peck has been dancing since he was a toddler in his mother’s studio. As Peck performed “Among Heavenly Waters,” he gallantly danced the stage and followed the choreography of a different dancer.

“I want to perform different styles and taste that the choreographer sees and wants to do,” Peck said. “That’s what it’s all about being a dancer: performing.”