Golf

Maturity allows for more team wins

Curtis Reed has placed second in two competitions this season. File photo/ The Daily Cougar

After claiming their second victory of the season at the Border Olympics last month in Laredo, the men’s golf team has won, for the first time in seven years, multiple tournaments in a single season.

Junior Curtis Reed said that wisdom and growth amongst the team has been a key part of their success.

“A lot of it has to do with maturity (within the team),” said Reed. “I’ve been playing with these guys since I started here.”

Sophomore Roman Robledo said the differences in the strengths and weaknesses have helped bring them closer together and  attributed to their recent victories.

“We all have different aspects and we definitely learn from each other and try to get better through each other,” Robledo said.

The team has yet to place lower than fifth in a tournament this season. Men’s golf coach Jonathan Dismuke said that in order to remain consistent and continue to climb up the rankings, the team will stick with what they know.

“We’ve got a talented bunch,” Dismuke said. “We’ve got a good system, and will keep doing the same things.”

With the closing of the season nearing and only two tournaments left, both players and Dismuke agree that a good ranking in these tournaments could put the UH Golf program on the map and return some Cougar pride to the team.

“We’ve been playing really well and have shown that we are the real deal,” Robledo said. “We’re coming back.”