Baseball

Even with strong offensive output, Cougars drop weekend series

Despite scoring 22 runs over the three games, the Cougars were victorious only in the finale of their three-game series against Marshall. The result of UH’s journey to the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains was a 24-9 overall record and a 6-3 record in Conference USA play.

Though the Cougars dropped the first two games, there were bright moments.

The first game of the series, a 19-13 affair in favor of Marshall, saw redshirt sophomore shortstop Frankie Ratcliff drive in four RBIs, a career best for him, off of three hits, one being a homerun. Junior outfielder Landon Appling went three for five with two RBIs and scored a run, while freshman outfielder Kyle Survance went two for four and scored two runs.

Despite the loss, all the freshmen in the lineup for UH were able to reach base via a hit and got an RBI. Infielders Josh Vidales and Justin Montemayor, along with outfielder Ashford Fulmer, were the trio to do it.

Senior righthander Austin Pruitt lost for the second time this season in the second game of the series, despite surrendering only three earned runs over 7.1 innings. He now stands at 6-2 after the 4-0 loss.

The final game of the series saw junior catcher Caleb Barker go three for six with three RBIs, while freshman infielder Justin Montemayor knocked out a three-run home run. Freshman righthander Jake Lemoine got his fifth win of the season, while junior righthander Chase Wellbrock got his fifth save of the year.

After two weekend road trips in two consecutive weeks, the Cougars will return home for eight straight games at Cougar Field, with a series against the Pirates of Seton Hall University starting Friday, April 12 at 6:30pm.