Administration

Cabinet member leaves position

Karen Clarke, the University’s associate vice chancellor and associate vice president of marketing and communications, will no longer be clad in Cougar red. She has accepted an executive position at Temple University in Philadelphia as Vice President of Strategic Marketing and Communications.

A part of UH leadership since 2007, Clarke’s last official day will be Friday.

“I love being a Cougar. No matter where I go, I will always bleed red,” Clarke said. “Luckily for me, Temple’s colors are cherry and white.”

“Temple is a highly-respected university with a number of characteristics similar to UH, so this opportunity is a good fit for me and plays to my strengths, much like my time here at UH.”

In her position, Clarke is responsible for marketing and brand management, university communication, media relations, development communications and web, multimedia and creative services.

As a member of President and Chancellor Renu Khator’s Cabinet and as chief strategist for the University’s branding and marketing campaigns, Clarke played a principal role in UH achieving Tier One recognition from the Carnegie Foundation in 2011.

“Her leadership helped strengthen and enhance the University’s image and reputation, and this had a tremendously positive effect on our drive to Tier One status,” said Executive Director of Media Relations Richard Bonnin.

“She will be greatly missed, not only for her leadership and management style, but for her friendship and mentorship, as well,” Bonnin said.

In the six years that Clarke has been with UH, she also oversaw multiple departments that have been recognized with over 100 awards from the American Marketing Association, the Public Relations Society of America and the International Association of Business Communicators.

“It’s somewhat bittersweet. I have given my heart to UH and it has given its soul to me,” Clarke said.

“In my mind, it’s like seeing our students walk across the stage at graduation. We will always love UH, but we reach a point where it’s time to step into the next adventure on our journey. So, I have a sense of excitement as well as the butterflies that we all have when we embark on a new endeavor.”