UH will propose $77 million Hofheinz renovation plan to Board of Regents

The athletics department will propose a 77 million dollar expansion and renovation of Hofheinz Pavillion.  Courtesy of UH Athletics

The athletics department will propose a $77 million expansion and renovation of Hofheinz Pavillion. Courtesy of UH Athletics

The UH Athletics Department will propose a $77,450,000 plan to expand and renovate Hofheinz Pavillion to the Board of Regents during its May 14 meeting.

“The proposed renovation and expansion will also help the University compete to recruit top-rated athletes and introduce additional revenue markets by improving perception of its facilities,” according to the proposal. “Moreover, the renovation of the existing facility will increase the operational functionality of the facility by providing a comprehensive asbestos abatement and infrastructure improvements.”

The renovation and expansion would be carried out in two phases. The arena’s renovations will take 14 months to design and 15 months for construction and demolition. The expansion portion will take 12 months of construction.

The Cougars would add two new practice courts, treatment, film, weight room and laundry areas. The old scoreboard would be replaced with four smaller video boards, including two at each baseline.

The new facility would seat 8,609 and have a total of 45,514 square feet. The proposal would also improve premium seating at Hofheinz.

• This Bull$hit is for the all high school graduations right. It can’t be for that POS basketball team.