Administration

UH to adopt four-year fixed tuition

The Board of Regents approved the four-year fixed tuition rate plan Tuesday after asking the Texas Legislature for a delay in the implementation of the option until Fall 2014 earlier in the semester.

The University welcomes the idea of a four-year fixed tuition option, President and Chancellor Renu Khator said in January.

“But we (were) proposing modifications to make it a true option for students, since many of our students are part-time and many are unable to make a four-year financial commitment at once,” Khator said.

Although a fixed-tuition option for current students has not been decided on, the four-year fixed tuition rate will be offered to incoming freshman and transfer students beginning in the Fall.

“Predictability in college pricing is an important factor in a student’s ability to plan for higher education and achieve his or her degree in a timely manner,” said the Finance and Administration committee in its written request for approval.

“To that end, UH System universities are developing an option through which incoming freshmen will be guaranteed a fixed rate for tuition and fees for four years, provided they meet annual academic progress requirements.”

The Finance and Administration committee believes that fixed tuition rate can provide simplicity, predictability and clarity for students and improve the number of degrees awarded, graduation rates and the faster progression to graduation.

The board also approved the initiation of the design phase for the expansion and renovation of Hofheinz Pavilion, as well as the introduction of new degree plans, including a Master of Hospitality Management degree for UH main campus and a Bachelor of Science in Geoscience degree for UH-D.

Amid the discussion of policies, the Board of Regents also recognized and welcomed a few individuals.

Interim Senior Vice President of Academic Affairs and Provost Paula Short was congratulated  for being named a Fulbright Specialist and joining the ranks of 98 academics and professional who will join a Roster of Specialists for a five-year term.

The Fulbright Specialist Program promotes linkages between U.S. academics and professionals at overseas universities or institutions with education-focused programming and is designed to award grants to qualified U.S. faculty and professionals to engage in short-term collaborative projects in more than 100 countries worldwide.

“This is an opportunity for me to give back,” Short said in a news release. “The University of Houston will benefit from my experiences with new cultures and increased understanding of other countries in my teaching, research and leadership roles within the University and work with the larger Houston community.”

Chair Nelda Luce Blair also took the opportunity to welcome the new student regent of the Board, Benjamin Wells, and thanked the current student regent Gage A. Raba, who will be leaving the position on May 31.

Blair applauded Raba for his “enthusiasm, commitment and dedication.”

Additional reporting by Minh Dam.