Campus

UH excels as Hispanic-serving school

With 41.9 percent of its population being of Hispanic descent, Houston has long since been characterized by its Hispanic population, culture and history. Now, UH has been declared a Hispanic-Serving Institution  by the U.S. Department of Education, showing that Houston’s largest university has grown to reflect its community.Five UH students spent one week at the Harvard/John F. Kennedy School of Government in Cambridge, Massachusetts, to grow and learn more as leaders. | Courtesy of Hannah Do

To be a HIS, a university must be not-for-profit, offer two-year academic programs that lead to a degree, be accredited by the Department of Education, have a high enrollment of needy students and have at least 25 percent Hispanic undergraduate students.

“From a symbolic point of view, (this designation) clearly points to more and more Hispanics entering college and receiving an education, and so it bodes well for not only the local community and the state community, but for the nation as a whole,” said the director for the Center for Mexican American Studies, Tatcho Mindiola, Jr.

“Hispanics tend to be one of the groups that have the least number of educated people in their midst. But now … if you plotted enrollment, Hispanic enrollment from the University of Houston from 1980 to the present, you’d see the trajectory is straight up.”

Large grants are offered to universities that fulfill these requirements, which may be used to fund improvements across the university for all ethnicities.

Additionally, five UH students had been chosen for the “Latino Leadership Initiative” (LLI) program, developed by the Center for Public Leadership at the Harvard Kennedy School. The five students, chosen on their academic merit, leadership skills and community involvement, traveled to the Harvard/John F. Kennedy School of Government in Cambridge, Mass. from June 8 to 15.

“Participating in the LLI is not just about the networking and leadership development skills I anticipate developing, but it is about the lifelong connections I hope to gain, as well as the possibilities it provides for me to make a difference in my community and my school,” said marketing and supply chain management junior Teresita Madero.

“I see this program as a chance to show others that it is not about where you come from, your economic status, your gender or your ethnicity that determines who you are, but what truly defines you is what you do for others.”

The program was first developed in 2010 and usually takes up to 42 undergraduate students a year. This year, Madero, business junior Johan Casella, biology senior Hannah Do, art junior Brenda Franco and construction management and business junior Arturo Garcia were nominated by the Center for Mexican American Studies, and henceforth chosen.

“I look forward to exceeding the expectations set by the LLI and embracing my obligation to be a leader and do something that will not only impact students at University of Houston, but will change future college students’ perspective on education,” Madero said.