Vertical progress on UH football stadium nearing

The new stadium will have an east-west orientation as opposed to the north-south orientation of Robertson stadium. The Houston skyline will be visible from most seats in the stadium. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

With more than a year remaining before the Cougars’ football stadium is to be complete the construction company is making faster-than-expected progress.

In July, the Manhattan Construction Group said they anticipate putting up the first steel on the stadium, which will signify the beginning of the vertical progress.

Krystal Robinson, a Manhattan spokesperson, said the firm is starting to make good progress.

“Putting up the first steel means structural steel erection begins, or the main frame of the building starts,” Robinson said.

The first steel beam is not only significant because it is the core of the stadium’s framework, but it also changes how the crews work. Now, the crews will incorporate more workers and cranes. They will be working with steel beams weighing at least 30,000 pounds.

“It is very exciting as you continue to see the progress that our construction team, Manhattan Construction Group, has made over at the site,” said Mack Rhoades, vice president of intercollegiate sports.  “You are now moving past the initial dirt work phase and seeing not just the stadium but also the Bert F. Winston Band and Performance Center essentially come to life as they begin their upward journeys.”

The Performance Center will serve as a home for the Spirit of Houston Band Recital Halls, classroom spaces, a multi-purpose area and the UH Athletics Ticket Office.

The Manhattan crew has worked other parts of the stadium including the foundation and underground, now it’s time for them to begin with the framework of the project.

The demolition of the stadium began in early December and is set to open for the first Cougar’s game on August 30, 2014.

“The ability to see what is on the horizon is encouraging and exciting,” Rhoades said.

Correction: Quotes by Krystal Robinson were originally attributed to Natalie Pagano. Also, the first steel beam will go up in July, not this week as the article originally stated.