Travel

Students to embark on outdoor adventures

Outdoor Adventure

Outdoor Adventure hosted a trip to the Grandview Trail in the Grand Canyon over Thanksgiving break in 2011. | Courtesy of Caleb Wells

Offered by the Department of Campus Recreation, Outdoor Adventures was created in 2008. The first out-of-state trip was to Horse Pens 40 in Alabama. The staff consists of a trained group of students who strive to share their knowledge of the outdoors. Assistant Director Caleb Wells emphasizes the importance of safety and what it can mean for enthusiastic adventure goers.

“Outdoor Adventure is a program that allows the UH community access to varied levels of adventure in a safe hands-on learning environment,” Wells said.

“The best part is that students can get a chance to go places they have never been and do things they would never do on their own. Most people would be surprised that a majority of our participants have little to no experience with the activities they sign up for, so getting a chance to learn how to safely enjoy the wilderness is a great opportunity.”

The Adventure offers about 10 trips per semester, two summer trips, skills clinics, a climbing competition, special “101” level classes that are four weeks long and an 8-week adventure leadership program open to students.

The upcoming Yellowstone adventure consists of traveling through the Rocky Mountains, stopping in Rocky Mountain National Park, Grand Tetons National Park, and spending time backpacking in Yellowstone National Park.

“For me, being back in the mountains is always enjoyable, but I’m most excited about teaching this group how to be safe in bear country,” Wells said. “For the students, getting away from the city and exploring will be a great experience.”

Through the Adventure, students have traveled to Grand Canyon National Park, Buffalo River, Gila Wilderness, Big Bend National Park, Horseshoe Canyon Ranch, Eagle Rock Loop and more.

“After doing this for several years, it’s hard to put my finger on one trip and say it is the best,” Wells said. “Each one is unique, and it usually depends on the group rather than the location.”

The Adventure also offers programs for canoeing, kayaking, climbing, caving, cycling, backpacking, surfing and more.

“Students should walk away with an understanding of how to camp, how to use the leave no trace principles, a respect for our national parks and wild places and get a chance to get away from the big city and explore a place that is totally different than Houston,” Wells said.