Soccer

Goalkeeper hopes she has saved her best season for last

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Cami Koski registered four shutouts last season.  |  Nikki Taylor/The Daily Cougar

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Cami Koski registered four shutouts last season. | Nikki Taylor/The Daily Cougar

Koski

Koski

On a team full of driven players, redshirt senior goalkeeper Cami Koski stands out as one of the leaders, and head coach Chris Pfau appreciates her presence.

Now, in her fifth season with the team, her progression over previous years has been inspirational to teammates and coaches.

“She is very driven, hardworking and is always looking to get better,” Pfau said.  “She pushes herself every day and players around her see that.”

Koski joined the team in 2009 and has been saving games since she played as a redshirt freshman in 2010. As a junior last year, Koski was named to All-Conference USA Second Team after posting 89 saves and 1.34 goals against average. She saved 78 percent of the shots she faced and picked up four shutouts in 2012.

In his first year as head coach last season, Pfau gave Koski some advice on the practice field that produced a better player.

“I think the big thing I was able to give her is to rely on her instincts,” Pfau said.  “After about the third game last year she was one of the best keepers I have seen in a long time.”

Koski has seen many changes to the soccer program in her time with UH. This season brings with it a new project for Koski.

Her weekly blog, “Kickin’ it with Koski,” is a new addition to the team’s website. The blog will document most of the events surrounding the team and provide a more intimate look at the team’s atmosphere.

“I hope to give Cougar soccer followers a closer look into the program and how things go day-to-day at Houston,” Koski said.  “I hope this is something that the team continues to hand down through the senior classes as a tradition.”

She sees bright things happening this season for her and the team and is ready for the challenges that entering a new conference poses for team.

“Coach Pfau has taught me so much about not focusing on winning, but instead taking care of the little things — the details — and the rest will take care of itself,” Koski said.

Koski could become one of the Cougars’ star players this season, but what she brings to the team off the field is just as important as her goalkeeping skills.

Koski is also an accomplished student at UH. She graduated with honors in May with a degree in health and a minor in psychology. Her goals this semester, in addition to winning on the field, are to complete prerequisites for nursing school so she can pursue a career either psychiatric nursing or surgical technology.

“I want to promote a positive environment on the team and get as far into the conference tournament as possible,” Koski said.