Activities & Organizations

New center creates student media headquarters

From video to news, entertainment to education, UH’s student-run media covers it all.

Now, the Student Video Network, Coog Radio and The Daily Cougar have come together in one entity to create the Center for Student Media.

“One thing we all want to provide is an unparalleled student learning experience,” said CSM director Matt Dulin.

“That means we have to be just as passionate about education as we are about finding innovative ways to raise funds and sustain these media organizations.”

While the three organizations still run independently of one another and they have sparsely collaborated in the past, they will now be working together more than ever under the greater umbrella of the CSM.

“SVN, TDC and Coog Radio could easily collaborate. … However, I don’t see the collaboration stopping there. I believe it can go beyond the three organizations,” said advertising senior Samantha Wong, the Coog Radio station director.

“Under CSM, the three organizations can easily collaborate with almost every organization on campus — whether it be utilizing SVN to produce video content, having Coog Radio DJ an event, asking TDC to cover an event in the paper, or anything else an organization has in mind.”

While the CSM largely exists to provide a news, publishing, design, broadcasting and management platform for students, it also exists to better manage the money side of student media — namely, the advertising — in order to improve all three organizations.

“This could yield coverage of UH news on many levels,” said SVN president and media production senior Sophia Pereira. “There will be more awareness of all 3 organizations across the board. That’s the best way we could help each other.”