Volleyball

As captain, Keck keeps teammates in check

No. 12 junior defensive specialist was named a team captain this offseason after displaying strong leadership skills. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

Though summer provides an opportunity for fun and relaxation, Natalie Keck used the break to grow as a leader for her team.

The junior defensive specialist was selected by her teammates this season’s volleyball team captain.

“I think it has really boosted my confidence,” Keck said. “At first it was overwhelming and a lot coming at me, but I’ve gotten used to it and I take on all the roles. I’m proud of myself because at first, it was hard, and now, it’s kind of secondhand.”

For Keck, her efforts have paid off — she has been chasing this goal since her freshman year. Now, as a captain, she will be asked to take on more responsibility as a leader. Keck displayed her natural ability to lead the volleyball team during summer break, teammates and coaches said.

Freshman outside hitter Sarita Mikals and senior defensive specialist Meredith Ware said Keck’s enthusiasm on the court enables the team to work harder and prepare for the season.

“Her work ethic and her encouragement kind of takes over the court. Having her as a captain empowers everyone to follow after her,” Mikals said. “She expects a full-out 100 percent effort with no excuses.”

Ware admires the leadership Keck presents because she does not limit it to while playing.

“(Natalie) always exhibits leadership, whether it’s on the court or off the court,” Ware said. “She always holds people accountable to our standards that we set in the classroom and on the court.”

Keck has high expectations for herself and the team, as she said they hope they can all work hard together and be competitive.

“We’ve set high standards all summer, but now it’s just about buying into the system,” Keck said. “We just want everyone to buy into it so everyone comes together by season. I think if we stay on track, we will exceed our goals and do well.”

Head coach Kaddie Platt said Keck possesses qualities that model a good captain for her squad, as she said she’s not afraid to get on her teammates. Even though her time as a UH volleyball player will be temporary, it will be predicated on building a successful program, Platt said.

“She’s awesome. (Natalie) does a good job of communicating and demanding a lot from her teammates. She’s the ideal captain that is very vocal, and you need one of those on the court and in the locker room,” Platt said.