Volleyball

Newcomers make plays for Cougars in season-opening tournament

After their first tournament of the 2013 season, the Cougars stand at 2-1, with victories over Quinnipiac University and Lamar on Friday and a loss to Texas State on Saturday in the finale.

UH traveled to San Marcos to compete in the Delta Zeta Classic for three games this weekend.

Two newcomers helped the Cougars secure wins in the opener. Junior transfer Cortney Warren, a right side, had nine kills in a three-set sweep Quinnipiac. Freshman outside hitter and right side Sarita Mikals had eight.

Warren

Warren

The second game saw another win against Lamar as Mikals and Warren stood out as the Cardinals were downed in four sets. Warren racked up 20 kills while Mikals put in 15. The team had a total of 55 kills to Lamar’s 36.

The finale against Texas State lasted only three sets as the Bobcats were able were able to sweep. Mikals — with 11.5 points, six digs and 11 kills — led the team, with Warren in second with six. Junior libero Natalie Keck was named the Most Valuable Libero for the tournament team, while Warren was named to the all-tournament team.

The team has a midweek match against Scott Street rival Texas Southern on September 4 before traveling to Louisiana for the Sawyer Camillo Memorial Volleyball Classic, hosted by the University of Louisiana-Lafayette.