Events Movies

SPB hosts screening of “Fast & Furious 6”

Fast & Furious Poster

Released on May 24, “Fast & Furious 6” earned $786.6 million in the box office. The Student Program Board screened the film on Thursday evening at Lynn Eusan Park for students to enjoy and relax. | Wiki Commons

With move-in checked off its to-do list and the Weeks of Welcome underway, the Student Program Board hosted an outdoor showing of the action-packed summer flick “Fast and Furious 6” Thursday evening at Lynn Eusan Park.

The latest installment features Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and other returning actors and actresses known for invigorating the series’ high-octane street races and martial arts street fights.

In “Fast Six,” the gang comes back together, but this time it’s to save their friend, Letty Ortiz (Michelle Rodriguez), who was thought to be dead.

With Ortiz running amok with former British Special Forces soldier-turned-criminal Owen Shaw, Toretto and his crew are forced to take on the mission.

“It’s an awesome movie,” said Anjuli Tuck, Student Program Board president and anthropology senior. “Who doesn’t love fast cars, fine men and places where you ride your cars? It’s a live attraction. It’s a franchise. Who doesn’t love Fast and Furious?”

Public relations junior Cameron Ochoa came out to socialize with fellow students and to get in on some Fast and Furious action. Ochoa notes that although he has seen each iteration of the series, his favorite lies within the streets of Tokyo.

“My favorite one has to be ‘Tokyo Drift.’  I was totally into the scenery. The Tokyo theme introduced a lot of new things (to the franchise). I think this one totally stepped it up out of all of them,” Ochoa said.

The film preserves the long running story for fans, who have been closely in tune with the series since the beginning, but it also keeps the excitement going for those who haven’t.

Aside from the movie, many students — like supply chain logistics junior Maria Carmona – say there was more to the idea of being able to come out to the venue.

“I didn’t really come for the movie,” Carmona said. “I wanted to come hang out with everyone, meet new people and be able to relax. I just moved to campus. I wanted to get the experience of all the students getting together and enjoying an activity. It’s my first one, so I’m excited.”

Beverages and popcorn were served by SPB, and they provided blankets for attendees who didn’t want to get their clothing dirty from the wet, muddy grass.

“I think what Student Program Board is doing is really fun,” said math sophomore Gabriela Cruz. “It allows people to meet new friends and have fun.”