Campus

Looking back at residential housing

Flashback

Moody Towers officially opened its doors to students Sunday, Aug. 23, 1970. More than 1,200 students enjoyed the dorms that fall semester, which included amenities such as phones in every room. | The Daily Cougar/1970

After being under construction for more than two-and-a-half years, Moody Towers finally welcomed residents into its halls at the turn of the 1970s. The dorms, completely separated by gender, housed men in the south tower and women in the north tower.

Although its official grand opening came with the beginning of the semester, incoming freshmen were the first students to enjoy the new housing during seven orientation sessions over the summer.

At the end of the orientations, students weighed in on what they liked and disliked about the new residential halls, with communal bathrooms receiving about 98 percent favor and having only two elevators in each tower disliked by about 90 percent of students.

Yet, Moody Towers offered conveniences students didn’t have in the Quadrangle, such as telephones in each room, a sauna bath, libraries and the possibility of a rotating loan system on books with M.D. Anderson Memorial Library.

Now, after more than 40 years, UH has more than doubled its beds on campus with the opening of Cougar Village I, Cougar Village II and Cougar Place.