Activities & Organizations

Speaker shares lessons gained around the world

Bauer Breakfast

Cindy Bigner, senior human resources director of Global Diversity and Inclusion at Halliburton Co., shared business knowledge that she has gained by traveling to nearly every continent. | Courtesy of C.T. Bauer College of Business

C.T. Bauer College of Business students, professors and industry professionals discussed cross-cultural management and the global frontier Friday with senior HR director of Global Diversity and Inclusion at Halliburton Co., during the Bauer Breakfast August installment.

Through her work, Cindy Bigner has traveled to nearly every continent, excluding Antarctica. The presentation titled “Culturally Diverse Teams: Challenges and Opportunities,” featured her personal and professional experiences in a wide array of countries from Turkey, China and Saudi Arabia to Angola and Egypt.

“Building trust will get you so much further in a foreign country,” Bigner said.

Bigner’s flight record is considered impressive by many and shows that despite advances in communication technology, business people should welcome the globalization of industries and become accustomed to international travel.

“I firmly believe that relationship building depends on investing in face-to-face,” she said. “It’s also important to know yourself and be aware of your own unconscious bias.”

Bigner said that taking comments or statements based on myths or stereotypes rooted in an uneducated outside view is a common mistake travelers make. Unconscious bias can be resolved by immersing yourself in the experience. Don’t be afraid to be curious, passionate and adventurous.

“I don’t think any of our managers don’t want to be inclusive. Some of them just don’t know how. We have to teach them,” Bigner said.

Bigner’s speech sparked more in-depth discussion about cultural boundaries between nationalities as the audience shared their personal experiences and even touched the social stigmas inhibiting professional women in male-dominated fields.

Diane Burkett, marketing manager for the college’s graduate and professional programs, coordinates the Bauer Breakfasts. She hopes to promote the department’s objective to promote lifelong learning and professional development for Houston’s working professionals alongside UH students and alumni.

Correction: A correction has been applied to the final quote by Cindy Bigner.