Administration

SGA scouts for students in first meeting of semester

SGA President Cedric Bandoh and the members of the Senate concentrated on recruiting student leaders Wednesday during the first meeting of the semester.

“(We’re) trying to get students in leadership positions,” Bandoh said. “For the Senate meeting, hopefully we get all of our university appointments through cabinet … as well as our vacancies to the Senate.”

The bill to amend the bylaws to restore mandatory committee review of legislation, authored by Senator Guillermo Lopez, was revisited as old business from the spring semester.

“This bill would amend SGA bylaws to require legislation to go into committee before being considered for a vote into the full Senate,” said Senator Carol Ann Ross, who represents the Graduate College of Social Work. “It does allow for a bypass of committee review, but it has to pass a substantial vote in order to bypass committee review.”

Senator James Lee said there are good appointees to the University committee for this semester, but Lee is looking forward to the things they hope to accomplish for this semester.

“(The) most important (issue) is the election reform — to implement changes that make voting more accessible to students,” Lee said.

The next SGA meeting will be held on Sept. 18 at 7:30 p.m. in the Rockwell Pavilion in the M.D. Anderson Memorial Library.