Piland suffers head injury during Saturday’s win

Junior quarterback David Piland suffered a head injury during Saturday’s contest against Temple, head coach Tony Levine said.

Piland, who didn’t practice Tuesday, is undergoing concussion tests. He is still experiencing symptoms. Levine said Piland is to be monitored daily.

Greenberry honored 

Sophomore wide receiver Deontay Greenberry was named the American Athletic Conference offensive player of the week after posting career highs of 14 receptions and 165 yards in the Cougars’ 22-15 win over Temple.  The Fresno, Calif. native was named to the Conference USA All-Freshman team last season and is the first Scout.com five-star recruit to select the University of Houston in school history.

Junior safety Calvin Pryor of the University of Louisville was named the conference’s defensive player of the week after making eight tackles, forcing a fumble and carrying an interception for 26 yards in the Cardinals’ win against Eastern Kentucky.

Soccer tournament location announced

The FC Dallas Stadium in Frisco will host the first American Athletic Conference soccer championship tournament.  The $105 million stadium, which will provide a home-field advantage to SMU, is one of the nation’s top venues for professional and amateur soccer and includes 17 fields for tournament play.  The conference soccer championship will take place November 15 and November 17.

UConn picked as favorite

The University of Connecticut men’s soccer team was picked as the unanimous favorite to sweep the conference in a preseason poll of the league’s nine coaches. Last season, the Huskies finished with a record of 17-4-1 and made their 13th appearance in the NCAA Quarterfinals.  Rounding out the predicted top three is Louisville and the University of Southern Florida. UH was not projected to make it in the top nine.