Events

Holocaust survivors wake up to ‘Another Sunrise’

Another Sunrise_Photo by Yasmine Saqer

Holocaust survivor Jack Heggie presented his story, “Another Sunrise,” on Sunday at the Moores School of Music. The lecture and musical drama depicted the history of Jewish oppression. | Yasmine Saqer/The Daily Cougar

The Moores School of Music held a lecture recital on Sunday, presenting Jack Heggie’s Holocaust survivor story “Another Sunrise.”

In the musical drama “Another Sunrise,” Jewish figure Krystyna Zywulska describes her memories and what it meant to be a survivor at the time of Hitler’s Final Solution. The drama takes place over one sleepless night as Zywulska struggles to divulge her memories to a tape recorder.

The lecture began with an explanation of Gene Scheer’s powerful libretto as it relates to the history of Jewish oppression. Taking a close look at the composition by studying the choice of notes and rhythmic patterns, it was revealed just how the music serves as a reflection of the emotion evoked in the libretto.

The second performance and Texas premiere was performed by Metropolitan Opera soprano and Moores faculty member, Lynda Keith McKnight. A minimally staged solo performance, McKnight owned the hall with a powerful recital, exhibiting incredible vocal control and an engaging take on Zywulska’s character.

McKnight performed with accompaniment by a talented virtuoso chamber ensemble featuring Brian Suits, Kristen Yon, Patrick Moore, Dennis Whitaker and Amanda Witt. A highly accomplished group of musicians, each one did a remarkable job. The ensemble gracefully created a meaningful harmony with McKnight, musically and emotionally.

Presenting a story of historical significance and retelling it through music, the Moores School of Music enlightened and absorbed the audience with a successful rendition of “Another Sunrise.”