Events

Coogs glow in the dark

Coogs felt the beat of the music while showing off their moves on a UV dance floor   |  Fernando Castaldi/The Daily Cougar

Coogs felt the beat of the music while showing off their moves on a UV dance floor | Fernando Castaldi/The Daily Cougar

On-campus social life is continuing to grow this semester, thanks to the Student Program Board.

SPB hosted its first glow party at the University Center on Saturday. A disc jockey and an ultraviolet dance floor left students in glow paint, waving glow sticks and partying the night away.

Biology seniors Kingsley Nwobasi and Ray Akanno  enjoyed themselves at the event.

“I liked the music,” Nwobasi said. “Everyone was having a good time.”

They are looking forward to the next SPB event.

“Seems like everyone was happy,” Akanno said. “I would come to another event to have fun.”

SPB caters to students who live on campus to build an active social life. This resident-focused organization hosts up to five events per week to make campus life entertaining for those who want to get more involved. All of the events are free with the exception of trips, which are priced to be affordable to students, said SPB’s Late Night and Weekends Chair, pre-nursing junior Odinakachukwu Ezeigwe.

Anjuli Tuck, an anthropology senior and SPB’s president, has set a goal for the organization to get students to be more social on weekends.

“SPB wants to focus and prioritize our programming to evening and weekend programming, as well as improve the overall student life on campus for all UH students,” Tuck said.

Tuck joined SPB in Fall 2011, serving on the Cinema and Novelty Committee and the Trips and Tournaments Committee. She became president in May 2013 and has planned and executed many events for students on campus.

“My passion and commitment for SPB has grown greatly over the years because I have seen and executed amazing programs that make students extremely happy,” Tuck said.

The glow party had been planned since July. Ezeigwe said she was very pleased with the outcome.

“Despite the weather and location change, the turnout was better than expected,” Ezeigwe said.