Cougars retain Bayou Bucket in O’Korn’s first start

With a 31-26 victory, UH has retained the Bayou Bucket.

The Cougars started slow, but took control of the game late in the second half. Before Rice quarterback Taylor McHargue rushed for a
1-yard touchdown and a special teams score, the Cougars led 31-13.

After Rice returned a blocked field goal 62 yards for a touchdown, UH’s lead shrunk to 31-26 with 2:19 remaining. Rice made UH coachesĀ and fans sweat by recovering an onside kick on the ensuing kickoff.

The Cougars then garnered a defensive stop before two kneel downs secured the victory.

The Cougars were able to create big plays on offense.

Freshman quarterback John O’Korn threw for 281 yards and three touchdowns en route to a victory during his first career start. He began the game with an explosive play. O’Korn’s first pass was a 61-yard strike to sophomore receiver Deontay Greenberry,who finished with six catches for 146 yards and one score.

Sophomore running back Ryan Jackson punched in a one-yard touchdown one play later. The defense struggled at the beginning and end of the contest but played well enough during the second and third quarter to give the Cougars a chance to win.

Rice picked up 463 total yards, but the Cougars forced two turnovers in their own territory to thwart drives. With its third consecutive Bayou Bucket win, the Bayou Bucket trophy will remain within the University’s clutches as the game takes a hiatus.