Music

Creation of website for Moores society brings organization to life

Correan Barker and Patricia Cooper say that the goal of the website is to get people involved in the Moores Society  .  |  Julia Davila/The Daily Cougar

Correan Barker and Patricia Cooper say that the goal of the website is to get people involved in the Moores Society. | Julia Davila/The Daily Cougar

The Moores Society is a philanthropic group of volunteers who are dedicated to supporting the students and administration at the Moores School of Music.

Moores alumnus Correan Barker is a fresh face to the administration’s team as the development coordinator. Barker’s ideas have brought him to work on creating a website for the Moores Society that will keep members and anyone else interested up-to-date on what is happening.

“Correan came on board with all of these wonderful ideas about creating an alumni association website, which we have never had in the past, and also ways that we can communicate better with our Moores Society members,” Cooper said.

Members will benefit from the website because there will be a special section where they can log in and have access to what they missed in a meeting or see upcoming events.

“It is about making the information more convenient,” Barker said.

The goal of the website is to get people involved and give them exposure to dive in and see what the organization is all about.

“Sometimes it’s the difference between getting a notification about … an event, a concert, the success of an alumnus or the engagement from our faculty,” Barker said.

Designed from the ground up, the website shows Barker is able to bring his creative skills to good use. It will include sections that describe the organization, who is involved and how one can give their support to the Moores Society, as well as a page dedicated to alumni, news and events, a members-only section and a contact page.

“There will be letters of welcome from the chair, Nancy Strohmer, and from the director of MSM, David Ashley White, to show everyone’s involvement,” Barker said.

Barker and Cooper believe it is important to collaborate in order to figure out what information is necessary so that someone who has never heard of the Moores Society could become interested.

“If you are a student or a Moores Society member, you will find something of interest and you are going to be engaged. Everyone will be able to find out information to better their knowledge about this group,” Cooper said.

Audio, video and photo galleries will be a part of the media section, showcasing students, faculty, staff and administration.

“It is important for people to see others that they can relate to,” Cooper said. “People can view who we are by uploading snippets of different concerts and performances that MSM has held.”

The Moores Society website is expected to launch in early October.