Food

Review: Cafe 101

Cafe 101 which opened its doors on Wednesday has been drawing attention to students all over campus. Bethel Gulmac/The Daily Cougar

A new Asian fusion restaurant is reviving the campus dining scene with its eclectic atmosphere, refreshing beverages and a menu that combines classic and modern cuisine.

Located across from Calhoun Lofts, Cafe 101 combines industrial decor with a soft color scheme — plum walls and plush booths mixed with concrete floors and plastic chairs. A freshly paved lot wraps around the building and provides adequate parking for students, which is a big plus on most patrons’ list.

“It’s a nice college atmosphere. It’s very clean. It’s very modern,” said retail consumer science senior Thai Nguyen.

The space provides ample sunlight through wall-length windows that increase the restaurant’s overall clean and airy feel. Patrons order and pay at the counter, and their meals are brought to their table.

The café has an extensive drink menu that has black, green, bubble and milk tea in addition to frappes and cream sodas. There is a $3 drink special from 4 to 7 p.m. every day.

“They do not have fountain (drinks), which was disappointing,” said second-year law student Gordon Martins.

Many students said they preferred Café 101 to its neighbor and competitor Chinese Star Restaurant, which has been serving the campus since 1990.

“I feel that the quality is a little bit higher, and it’s healthier. I felt that my food was made-to-order,” Martins said.

The menu prices are fairly competitive in comparison to other restaurants in the area. The entrées range from $6.50 to $9.50 and are served with white or egg-fried rice. Students can select the most popular items offered from the Top 10 blackboard above the bar. Currently, the top item being served is the General Tso’s Chicken.

“The chicken was fresh, but the fried rice was OK,” Nguyen said. “It was a bit overcooked, but once you put the sauces in, it’s pretty good. The sauce was sweet and spicy, a little tangy.”

Café 101 is provides the campus with Chinese cuisine that has a Japanese and Korean twist. It’s new for the developing food landscape, which is already being shaped by food trucks and franchise food joints like Subway and Wendy’s, said second-year law student Benjamin Cohen.

It’s hard to determine if students are more intrigued by the restaurant’s taste or its decorative style. For the time being, students are enjoying the new selection.

“I’ll definitely be coming back,” Martins said.