Academics & Research

Freshmen bring highest admission scores to UH

On average, the 3,300 first-year students at UH have the highest class rankings and SAT scores of any class before them. | File photo/ The Daily Cougar

Reflecting an increasing trend, UH’s incoming class of 2017 has the distinction of having the best SAT scores and class ranking to date.

In recent years, student enrollment has become more about success and graduation and less about head count on campus, as reported by a UH press release.

This class also reached the University’s goal of 3,300 first-year students, in a student population of 39,503 — 31,598 undergraduates and 7,905 graduate students. As the University has grown, its additions have attracted new students.

“I chose to attend UH because of its Center for Creative Work in The Honors College and the graduate program for writing. My SAT score (was) 1970, and I was 36th (of the) 566 in my class,” said creative writing freshman Eppie Farrell.

Through work with community colleges and junior colleges, UH has begun to streamline student education by “advising students who start at a community college to complete their first year or, if possible, both years there before transferring to UH,” according to a press release.

Thus far, the University has met these goals while keeping school affordable. Tuition has been climbing at a slow rate, reaching only half of the average cost of tuition in 2011 nationwide, according to the National Center for Education Statistics. 

“UH gives you more education for a lower price,” said music performance and education freshman Matthew Mondragón.

Enrollment in the UH System has surpassed 65,624 students, with UH-Victoria seeing its 16th consecutive year of growth in fall enrollment.