Cougars sweep American Athletic Conference awards

In an action-packed fifth week of play, the American Athletic Conference saw a head football coach fired, the conference commissioner arguing for flexibility for the league champion and UH sweeping the conference honors after a 59-28 victory over UTSA.

UConn fired head coach Paul Pasqualoni on Sunday after a 0-4 start to the Huskies’ season. The current offensive coordinator and former Western Kentucky assistant, T.J. Weist, will take over as interim head coach for the remainder of the season. The university also fired the team’s associate head coach and offensive line head coach George DeLeone. DeLeone will receive a $750,000 buyout from the school.

Conference commissioner Mike Aresco wants the conference’s champion to have a little more wiggle room in its bowl lineup to ensure the best possible matchup. Aresco says the conference may not decide in advance where its champion plays, so it can wait and match its champion up with the best possible opponent. The AAC will send teams to bowls in St. Petersburg, Fla., Birmingham, Ala., Fort Worth and Washington, D.C. this season.

Offensive Player of the Week

Freshman quarterback John O'Korn was named the American Athletic Conference player of the week. | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

Freshman quarterback John O’Korn was named the American Athletic Conference player of the week. | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

Freshman quarterback John O’Korn threw for four touchdowns, including two in the fourth quarter alone, and completed 24 of 36 passes for 312 yards on Saturday. In only two career starts for the Cougars, O’Korn has racked up 933 yards and 10 touchdowns with only one interception.

Defensive Player of the Week

Sophomore defensive back William Jackson forced a fumble and had six tackles before putting the cherry on top with a 96-yard interception return for a touchdown in the final quarter against UTSA. Jackson’s interception return is the second longest by an FBS player this season.

Special Teams Player of the Week

Redshirt freshman defensive back Brandon Wilson returned a blocked field goal for 78 yards and a touchdown against the Roadrunners. With his touchdown, Wilson opened up the Cougars for a 35-7 domination in the second half of Saturday’s game.

• The D which didn’t look particularly menacing in the first half really turned things around in the 4th quarter. I’m glad to see Jackson recognized on defense.