Health

Healthy lifestyles link to greater academic success

Rec 1 - Fernando Castaldi

Studies showed that students who maintain a healthy lifestyle by participating actively in sports or working out reach higher grades and academic success. | Fernando Castaldi/The Daily Cougar

Research has shown a positive correlation between college students’ grade point averages and how healthy they are.

The April study conducted by Purdue University found that students who use campus recreational facilities 16 times or more per semester had higher GPAs than those who did not.

Associate Director of the Department of Campus Recreation Jay Parks explained how students’ involvement in fitness activities can positively affect their lives.

“Classes offered at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center can help students in a variety of ways. Scholarly studies have shown a direct correlation between exercise and increased brain activity,” Parks said. “If you are engaging in fitness-related activities, there are positive effects that can impact your entire being, body, mind and soul.”

The Recreation Center offers a variety of group fitness classes to appeal to a variety of students. Such classes include core, group cycling, body sculpting, night club cardio and yoga. Other resources and activities available through the Department of Campus Recreation are intramural sports, Outdoor Adventure, sports clubs and access to personal trainers.

Construction management senior Nicole Joe attends group fitness classes at the Recreation Center. She described how working out positively affects her throughout her school day.

“I feel so much better and so much more energized after a good cardio workout,” Joe said. “I am able to be more productive and pay closer attention in class with all of that post-workout energy.”

Group fitness classes, like most other classes offered at UH, require close attention and dedication. When attending group fitness classes, attendees must watch carefully, listen closely to the instructions given by the instructor and focus on the task at hand.

Biology senior Elizabeth Oyenigi explained how paying attention in a group fitness class transfers to a more positive outlook and mental sharpness in the classroom setting.

“Taking group fitness classes puts me in a better mood and helps me to be more alert when I go to class,” Oyenigi said. “As opposed to working out by myself, I’m listening to the instructor, following instructions and watching what is being demonstrated, just like in a class setting.”

Classes are available from 7 a.m. to 10:15 p.m. on Monday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 3:45 p.m. on Fridays, and 6 to 9:30 p.m. on Sundays.