Activities & Organizations News

Sorority holds social for breast cancer awareness

Pink_Ribbon

“One of our sorority sisters, Ann-Elise McClutcheon, beat breast cancer, so this event is very close to our hearts,” said accounting junior and Zeta Phi Beta sorority member Ti’Sheia Williams.  |  Wikimedia Commons/ The Daily Cougar

Not even the rain could keep the Zetas from proudly strutting around the University Center Satellite patio, representing their sorority by wearing “Zetas for Ta-tas” shirts and raising money for breast cancer.

Zeta Phi Beta held their annual “Hump Day Social” on Wednesday and sold breast cancer awareness bracelets to raise money for the 2013 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

“We really want to spread awareness to students about breast cancer and be a reminder for women to get checked,” said Zeta treasurer and kinesiology sophomore Jasmine Jackson. “It’s important they learn how to take the proper steps to be healthy and hopefully prevent breast cancer.”

Sports administration senior Shanae Mincy said she is excited about the social and thinks it is a great way to meet new people and help their sorority become a larger presence on campus.

“Our sorority is not that well known, and I want to change that before I graduate,” Mincy said. “This event, along with the walk on Saturday, is a great way to get new members and get the chance to serve the community, which is really important to me.”

Accounting junior Ti’Sheia Williams said she and five of her sorority sisters will participate in the Komen walk this Saturday, joined by Zetas from Sam Houston State University and Texas Southern University as well as University of Houston Zeta alumnae.

“One of our sorority sisters, Ann-Elise McClutcheon, beat breast cancer, so this event is very close to our hearts,” Williams said.  “We are trying to sell at least 200 bracelets to raise as much money as we can for the cause.”

To better support their cause, the Zetas hired Dj Young Streetz to play music and attract a crowd. Supporters from other sororities and fraternities attended the social, as well as members of the Multicultural Greek Council and the Latin Greek Council.

The “Hump Day Social” is part of Zeta week. Other events included a financial awareness day on Monday, a stress awareness day on Tuesday and a sexual awareness day on Thursday.  The week will end with a luncheon on Friday for members of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, an organization for African-American Greeks.

Bracelets will continue to be sold during the month of October, and they can be purchased from any Zeta member.