Opinion Web Exclusive

Despite honorable service to nation, two veterans face deportation after minor misdemeanors

Two Iraq veterans are now at risk of being deported by the Department of Homeland Security, according to mysanantonio.com.  The two brothers, Valente and Manuel Valenzuela, who are in their 60s, risked their lives to serve in the Vietnam War. Although born to a mother who was a native of New Mexico, the two were mistakenly identified as ‘resident aliens’ on their birth certificates. According to the brothers, the military assured they would receive citizenship after serving.

Because of an error made in their childhood, these two brothers, one a Marine and the other an Army Soldier, will now be forced to leave the country and go to Mexico — “a country they have not been to since childhood,” according to My San Antonio.

It seems the Department of Homeland Security is at fault — even if the term “security” implies the safety of our country and its citizens. Homeland Security feels it has the right to have these two men leave the United States because of new laws that allow the deportation of veterans with misdemeanor convictions who aren’t documented as citizens. “These veterans lose a couple points for acting out. However, in general, the problem here is that the United States is incapable of admitting to their simplistic mistake,” said psychology junior Sarah Michener.

Valente Valenzuela was convicted of domestic violence, which apparently is grounds for being deported. If only Chris Brown, a famous celebrity who beat, battered and nearly killed his girlfriend, was also in danger of being deported. Brown, who never risked his life for this country, served no jail time and was only forced to do community service, five years of probation and domestic violence counseling — it’s doubtful that Homeland Security considered deporting him.

It must be Manuel, the other brother, then, who was convicted of disorderly conduct and resisting arrest. Those are really terrible crimes; I’m sure when Cincinnati’s cornerback, Adam ‘Pacman’ Jones was arrested for the second time in three months — on the same charges Manuel was convicted of — that Homeland Security kept an eye on him and contemplated deporting him.

“If the US is always so patriotic and appreciative of their veterans, it is strange to me that they would not step in to correct their own problem,” Michener, a native Canadian, said.

It’s a tragedy, really. The government is so intent on making the United States a better place, yet they’re willing to get rid of people who help defend our freedoms.

There is nothing more upsetting than a citizen being abused by their government. It is not fair. These two brothers risked their lives to protect this country, only to get deported from the country they helped save.

Immigration seems to divide Americans. It was an issue greatly debated in the 2012 presidential election and is still being debated now. With this case, many points are posed about who should be allowed access to our country and who should not.

“I’d like to think that if people have gone to the extent of contributing to society in a beneficial way that they should be allowed to stay in the U.S.,” Michener said, “although I agree screening and proper paperwork should be required for safety reasons.”

Michener brings up a good point. The majority of immigrants are not a waste of space or money.

“What if the cure for cancer is trapped inside the brain of an immigrant?” she said.

Every veteran makes a difference in this country. The Department of Homeland Security should investigate this matter further before getting rid of some of the heroes of this country. It seems they’re similar to the men and women in Congress — they’d rather ruin this country than have an open discussion as to why and how they’re wrong and things that need changing. Immigration reform needs to happen — we cannot keep denying people the right to be free. We are Americans and we love our neighbors, especially those who fight for this country and make this a better place.

Opinion columnist Blake Mudd is a journalism freshman and may be reached at [email protected]