Events

Breast cancer awareness hits campus

This month the Women’s Resource center is teaming up with The Breast Cancer Charities of America to spread the word about the risks of breast cancer and will be putting on different events.|  Aisha Bouderdaben/The Daily Couga

This month the Women’s Resource center is teaming up with The Breast Cancer Charities of America to spread the word about the risks of breast cancer and will be putting on different events.| Aisha Bouderdaben/The Daily Couga

October has begun, so dig out that chic, pink blouse, polo or accessory, because it’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

In support of breast cancer awareness, the Women’s Resource Center is hosting The Breast Cancer Charities of America to help educate men and women on the topic. Besides having a raffle, they passed out materials and consulted students about preventative measures and services Monday at the University Center Satellite. WRC Program Coordinator Malkia Hutchinson said she believes being aware is vital for cancer prevention.

“I think a lot of young women disregard the messages. It’s important that they know what they’re doing now can affect their long-term health. Breast cancer can influence if someone has heart disease or pre-diabetes,” Hutchinson said. “Things that we do in our 20s and 30s can influence our long-term health.”

BCCA executive director Erica Tullis said reaching out to people about treatment options and educating people on prevention tips is important.

“Being able to help women really understand that breast cancer is treatable, preventable and curable through non-invasive means is my goal. There’s hope and options beyond surgery,” Tullis said on the BCCA website. “At BCCA, we are leading the way to integrated health and wellness in finding the cure to breast cancer.”

BCCA will help students understand the effects of lifestyle choices, self-treatment and examination and what students can do now to build healthier bodies and, in turn, breasts.

“We bring together organizations representing all health and social service disciplines in the commitment to establish new and unprecedented levels of effectiveness in research, education, advocacy and support,” according to BCCA’s mission statement.

Hutchinson said students should arrive at breast cancer informational sessions with an open mind and a lot of questions.

The WRC is housed on the second floor of the University Center in room 279A. They host several events throughout the semester as well as several regular events: Tuesday’s Cougar Conversations, Wednesday’s Movie Madness and Thursday’s Parenting Students Support Group. More information can be found at uh.edu/wrc.