Cougars tame Tigers, stay undefeated

A big second half propelled UH to a 25-15 victory against Memphis Saturday at BBVA Compass Stadium.

The Cougars’ defense forced five turnovers and didn’t allow a touchdown to increase their record to 5-0 for the fourth time in school history.

UH now has a +14 turnover margin to lead the nation.

After struggling to stop the running game in the first half, the Cougars made adjustments and held the Tigers to only six points in the second half.

“We made a few adjustments, settled down and just came out in the second half and played defense the way we were supposed to play,” said junior linebacker Derrick Mathews.

Sophomore running back Kenneth Farrow, who sustained an ankle injury on Sept. 7 at Temple and missed games against Rice and at UTSA,  rushed for two touchdowns, his first career multiple score game.

The Cougars took their first lead after Farrow scored from one yard out. On the two-point conversion, freshman quarterback John O’ Korn, who looked as if he was sacked when he was wrapped up by a Memphis defender , shoveled the ball to Farrow who ran it in to give the Cougars a 18-15 lead with 1:59 left in the third quarter.

Farrow then put the nail in the coffin after he scored a six-yard touchdown to give his team a commanding 25-15 lead early in the fourth quarter.

“It was fun for me to be back out there with my teammates. It was kind of rough for us on the offensive end,” said Farrow. “We were kind of grinding it out all day. I was just trying to find the end zone and put a touchdown on the board when we really needed it.

The Cougars had a sluggish first half start as they had struggled to run the ball. Sophomore running back Ryan Jackson’s streak of 100 all-purpose yards in five straight games ended, as he only had seven rushing yards on seven attempts. He gained 44 yards on a screen pass in the third quarter.ts

“It wasn’t pretty, it wasn’t perfect, it may never be, but we are proud of our defense this afternoon. Could we have played better at this point? Absolutely ,” head coach Tony Levine said. “A wise coach once said more games are lost than one. And I am a believer in that . Being plus three in the turnover margin…that was the difference in the game today.”

Junior linebacker Derrick Mathews forced and recovered a fumble on the games first drive. O’ Korn then connected with  junior receiver Daniel Spencer for 17 yards to take a 7-0 lead in the first quarter.

Memphis had its chance to turn to stop the Cougars from taking their first lead when junior receiver Markeith Ambles fumbled, but Memphis was called for an offside penalty, which kept the drive alive. The next play then resulted in a 33-yard pass play to senior receiver Xavier Maxwell, who got the Cougars to the one-yard line that set up Farrow’s first touchdown and the Cougars first lead.

Memphis lead 10-9 at halftime, but fumbling issues plagued them all afternoon and prohibited them from ever getting into the end zone. Though the Cougars are undefeated, Levine said the team won’t get complacent.

“Nobody on our team is satisfied winning just five games.”

• It wasn’t a pretty game for sure!! Defense stepped up big and didnt allow a TD. Offense just couldn’t get into rhythm, too many dropped balls and missed passes but it’s a young team and to be expected. It was good to see Farrow back out there! We need his size back there to do just what he did on that two point conversion! Overall a grind it out win by the Coogs! I’ll take it!

What was upsetting to me though was the lack of fan support at the game!! Can we really not pack out a 22,000 seat stadium?? Seriously?? I’m guessing maybe 12-15K people showed up and less than that we’re there at kickoff! Very disappointing and if you let the chance of a little rain keep you away, then UH will never get the recognition it should! We as fans HAVE to do a better job of supporting the team! Come on people I’m tired of getting called “Cougar High!”

• I’ll take the win. This is where we wanted to be when BYU came calling. UH just has to continue to grind it out and find ways to win, which is what it has been doing.Thanks for the quick write-up Andrew.

• I agree with Fared 100%. Even the record shows 20k in attendance, but didn’t look more than 16k. very disappointed. We were 4-0 coming into this game, and very few students showed up. I had no doubt it will be sold out. Hope we show more support for next game against BYU. GO COOGS!!!

• This is a good story and was very timely. I wish I had thought to check the Daily cougar on Saturday. I just assumed there would be no updates till Monday.