Golf

Robledo hopes to help lead the Cougars to better greens

Roman Robledo has been playing golf competitively since he was 9 years old, and that has helped him to become a smart and focused player. With those skills, the junior golfer has become an important part of UH’s success in the past two seasons.

“I keep myself in the game … You can’t predict the future. You have to stay in the present,” Robledo said.

After winning individual titles at the Conference USA tournament and the season-opening Northern Intercollegiate at Rich Harvest Farms, Robledo was named the American Athletic Conference golfer of the month in September. He was a two-time member of the Conference-USA Championships All-Tournament Team and was named to the league’s first team a year ago.

He has also been growing into a leader among his peers, and the team values his opinion.

“Roman is an awesome and respectful person that I’m glad to call a friend on and off the course,” said junior golfer Kyle Pilgrim.

Robledo also credits a portion of his success to Director of Golf Jonathan Dismuke.

“He continues to help me strengthen and sharpen my mental aspects of the game — especially a lot of putting,” Robledo said.

Dismuke holds Robledo similarly in high regard.

“Roman is a great kid, and it’s impressive to see how much he grows with every tournament,” Dismuke said.

Robledo led the Cougars in scoring average for his first two seasons and has also carried that success into this season. Last season, he was selected for First Team All-Conference USA and to the Ping All-Central Region team.

Robledo sunk a 30-foot birdie putt on the final hole of a tourney in last April for him to win and to help UH to win its first team conference championship since 2001.

Despite his success, Robledo said he plans to take nothing for granted.

“I’m hoping for a lot of success and fun this season … I just tell myself, don’t look back, stay focused and as current as possible,” Robledo said.