Administration

Governor appoints new UH System regents

Gov. Rick Perry appointed three new regents last week to the UH System Board of Regents who will serve for the next six years.

President and CEO of Piping Technology and Products Durga D. Agrawal, president and CEO of Possible Missions Paula Mendoza and attorney with Buzbee Law Firm Peter Taaffe replace regents Nelda Blair, Mica Mosbacher and Jacob Monty, whose terms are expiring.

“We are gaining three experienced and energetic leaders who will help lead the UH System,” said UH System Board of Regents Chairman Jarvis Hollingsworth. “As alumni, they are familiar with the system’s component universities and will provide invaluable insight to the board. I look forward to working alongside our newest board members and continuing to grow the UH System.”

Agrawal

Agrawal

Agrawal earned his master’s and doctoral degrees in industrial engineering from the Cullen College of Engineering and serves on the college’s Industrial Engineering Advisory Board, Alumni Board and Leadership Board. Outside UH, he directs the Agrawal Association of America, serves on the India Cultural Community and Industry Trade Advisory Committee and is a member and past president of the Indo-American Chamber of Commerce of Greater Houston and India House Houston.

Mendoza

Mendoza

UH-Downtown alumna Mendoza, a commissioner and past chairman of the Texas Ethics Commission, serves as a board member for the East End Chamber of Commerce Foundation. Previously, she chaired the Texas Association of Mexican-American Chambers of Commerce, its Education Foundation and the M.D. Anderson Family YMCA.

Taaffe holds a law degree from the Law Center, where he later taught as an adjunct professor. He is a member of the State Bar of Texas and the UH Center for U.S. and Mexican Law Advisory Board and previously served on the Law Center Alumni Association’s board.

35

Taaffe

“I’ve always been a follower and supporter of the University of Houston,” Taaffe said. “I’ve always been involved in the school. I think it’s a real gem. The trajectory the school is on is so high. I’m just excited to see how high it can go and watch how high we can climb.”

The board comprises nine members and a student regent. The Texas governor appoints three members to the board every two years. Each regular member serves a six-year term, and student regents serve for one year. The board officers for Fiscal Year 2014 are Hollingsworth, chairman; Nandita V. Berry, vice chair; and Welcome W. Wilson Jr., secretary. Other members include Tilman J. Fertitta, Roger F. Welder, Spencer D. Armour III and student regent Benjamin P. Wells.

“These new regents will be an asset to the efforts throughout the UH System,” said Richard Bonnin, the executive director of media relations for UH. “As is the case with every member of the board, they are keenly interested in student success and will work to ensure that we provide a world-class, affordable education.”

UH System Chancellor Renu Khator said the new appointees bring a different set of unique skills to the board and that they share “a common commitment to community engagement and higher education.”

“We are fortunate to have such accomplished and dedicated individuals helping guide the future of the UH System,” Khator said.